Over the years, iOS developers have used various tools in order to record screencasts for their apps. Starting with OS X Yosemite this process became much easier. Using the built-in Quicktime app in iOS Yosemite, we can now easily record our iPhone’s or iPad screen. The steps are pretty straightforward:
- Open QuickTime in OS X Yosemite
- Plug your iPhone using the USB cable
- Choose File>New Movie recording from QuickTime menu
- Select the iPhone screen as the input camera as shown in the image below
- Note that you can rotate the iPhone in order to record landscape screens <p style="text-align: justify;"> </p>
Note that there is no ability to show touches in your screencast (a functionality that most third party screencast tools are offering) but it is nice to see a built in way to record iOS device screens especially now that Apple offers the ability to upload video previews alongside screenshots to the App Store.